Monday, January 2, 2012

New couch look on the cheap

E and I have been looking at couches, but they are so expensive and so unsatisfying!
Most of the designs are super boring, and I don't really like ultrasuede but I want something that won't stain.
It's been annoying.
This has been the only one I've liked and it is not cheap and didn't get good reviews:




$2, 598 Room and Board Metro sofa with angled chaise
I really like this weirdly shaped chaise. It looks perfect for curling up on or cuddling and isn't the usual lounge shape.
But the review says "The cushions loose shape, you sink down so low into it that most people have toruble getting up off of it and have to roll onto the floor to then get up. We even had to layer upholstery foam underneath the cushions just to bulk it up to a semi-useable seating position. The worst thing however, is that the down feathers that the pillows are filled with poke out of the fabric all of the time."
Doesn't sound awesome.


What I mainly don't like about our existing couch and armchair is that they are brown heavy scuffed up leather and they've been destroyed by E's cats.
They are an ok size for our apartment and pretty comfortable, so I took at slipcovers.

Because these couches are from Ikea originally, there are slipcovers made just for them there. I don't know why I didn't think of it before!
The colored slipcovers are $129 but the plain white ones are just $49 for the couch and $29 for the chair.
I figure we will get the washable white cotton ones and then if the cats leave their fur all over the place, we can dye them or something (COUGHshootthecatsCOUGH).
$49 Ektorp white slipcover for sofa

So we are still on the prowl for a nice new easy to clean sectional, but in the meantime, I will get a new look and feel for the current couches for only about $100.

3 comments:

  1. When K and I were looking for a couch, we ended up seeing a lot of those that you liked. They call that weird chaise "the cuddler" which, well, seems ridiculous to me. Too short to stretch out on, too long and you end up not being able to get up out of it.

    We settled on a loveseat with an ottoman as our alternative to a couch+chaise because it was the only thing we could get through our door. Not sure how we're gonna be able to get it out though....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I was just coming here to comment on "The Cuddler". I also recall that most couches with a cuddler were microfiber, which I cannot abide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I like the cuddler- at least this one I could stretch out on, though I imagine a taller person couldn't.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me on Pinterest