Monday, March 12, 2012

Birchbox March Unboxing and Review

Over the weekend, I got my March Birchbox.
This one was Teen Vogue-themed, which meant that their editors picked out some of the favorite products and there was also some Teen Vogue info in the packaging.

Fr
Here's the box, unopened!

Here's what it looked like inside:
2012-03-11_23-41-17_218.jpg

You can see that there is a Teen Vogue mail-in subscription, a Modcloth ad and discount code, something in tissue paper, a gold tube on the right (serum), and a box in the middle (lip color).

Once I tore into the tissue paper, I saw that it contained a perfume sample, an orange elastic band which is a hair tie, and a full-sized nail polish! Yay!
2012-03-11_23-46-27_791.jpg
This is all the stuff out of its packaging.

Of the things in the box, the only one I was really excited by was the nail polish.

As always, I went onto the Birchbox site and saw what I could have gotten.
And I was mostly relieved (I don't need Ahava stuff, nail polish remover, fashion tape, or shampoo) but there were some things I'd like to get in the future (Sugar lip gloss, One Love Beauty balm, Peter Thomas Roth Mattifying gel, Stila eye shadow, and Color Club nail polish).

On to the reviews!!



 Kate Spade Twirl perfume $65
Light, floral and pretty. Not heavy or sexy or very fruity. It's pretty nice but I'm not addicted or anything.


Twistband hair elastics $10 for 6 bands
Whatevs. These look like pieces of trash to me.
I got an orange one and I almost threw it out -- I would have if it didn't have a Twistband tag hanging from it.
Really? A loop with a knot on the end? OK.
Maybe someone somewhere would pay for this, but it will not be me.
The hook is supposed to be that it doesn't snag your hair, but there are other elastics out there that manage to do that and not look so crappy. There are tons of metal-free hair bands in the drugstore.
Maybe it will change my life someday and I will change my tune, but I am guessing not.


Essie Luxe Effects nail polish $8 for one
I got the silver glitter and I was really glad!
I have been wanting to try flakies but I can't seem to find a good cheap drugstore polish to experiment with, and I didn't want to spend this much on the Essie one.
In a perfect world, they would have sent me the gold one, but I am glad I got this.

I tried it out and it was great!
The polish base is smooth. The glitter is in a few different sizes so there are some big chunks and some small and some tiny. I see at least 4 sizes of glitter in here, which is way better than just one.
Coverage is ok--working with the polish I found it was best to wipe off the brush on the lip of the bottle til it was almost bare and then apply. When I used a fully loaded brush, I didn't have good control of where the sparkles were landing, and it seemed sparse.


Tarte LipSurgence lip tint $28
This Tarte lip color was the biggest thrill and then letdown in the box. I love Tarte stuff and I was excited to see a big size pencil from them (is it full-sized? looks it). But the color I got (Lucky, the pink you see above) is HORRIBLE.

It's too pale and cotton candyish and it's not glossy or sheer so it just looks like you colored in your mouth with a crappy crayon. I can't imagine who this color would look good on.
For pale/medium people like me, it makes us look like Eastern European prostitutes.
For blondes, it would make you look like a Barbie.
For dark skinned people, it would look neon Nicki Minaj-style. Maybe it's for her?

The lip stain is matte and not gloopy and pretty dry feeling despite the claims that it boosts moisture 3000% or something crazy like that.
I wish I had gotten it in ANY of the other 3 colors because then I could see if I like the product itself.
It does go on smoothly and doesn't feel like you are wearing lipstick, but I just can't get past the color to leave it on and see how it wears and looks under different lights.

Orofluido Elixir hair serum $28
I tried this today and used about 3 drops for my medium-length hair. It definitely made a noticeable difference in shine, so I appreciate that.
I don't love the smell of it though. It's kind of weak and a little medicinal and I like hair stuff to smell nicer.


If you decide to buy this stuff, please use my links above so I get referral credit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest