Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Random things I don't own and don't want

I was thinking recently about all the random crap I own and that most people own, which made me want to get rid of everything.
But then I started thinking about the "normal" household items that I don't own and that started making me feel a little better. Especially because I've been seeing all this stuff on registry suggestion lists.

Note for all you very nice people who might be looking for gift ideas: I still don't want these things!

My life has been perfectly fine without:

A Rolling Pin
Who am I, a baker? Sometimes I bake and very rarely that baking involves rolling dough out, but it is really rare. And when I need to do it, I can just use a wine bottle.
I can't think of a situation where I have ever wished I had a rolling pin.


13 inch Wooden Rolling Pin
NO THANKS


An Iron
I make it a point to buy clothing that either doesn't need to be ironed after washing, or can be dry cleaned where they iron that shit for me.
I am not a washer woman from the middle ages. I don't have the time or energy to be hunching over a shirt trying to get it totally flat just so I can wear it and wrinkle the elbows in 5 seconds flat.

Sometimes I have been known to use my flatiron for straightening my hair on my shirt collars. It's just such a good shape to get those little spaces and you don't even have to take your shirt off.
NOTE: Don't do this. You'll probably burn yourself and it only slightly works.

I do have a steamer which does the job of an iron but even better since it also freshens your clothes with the hot steam. The smoothing and uncreasing functionality of a steamer isn't as good as an iron, but clearly I don't really care about that.



PASS

This also by the way means I don't have to have an ironing board. Space saver!



A Shovel
I live in NYC, why would I need a shovel? If only you could shovel away the scent of the sidewalks in the summer, then maybe I'd get a shovel.




NOPE


Napkin Rings
When I was young, I remember being frustrated at how napkin rings were almost the right size to be bracelets for my little wrists, but I couldn't quite get them on over my hand.
So, even then they were useless.
Cloth napkins are rare these days but we do have some. And guess what: they look just fine without rings on them. You can fold them next to a plate and it's ok.
You don't need to give the thing you wipe your germy mouth on any jewelery. Unless that's your wife. HEYYY-OHH


WHY


Gravy Boat
As a vegetarian, I am mostly lacking in things to both put gravy on and to make gravy from. I guess I could make a mushroom gravy and put it on.... other mushrooms?
I can't imagine anyone makes gravy frequently enough to need a special boat for it. A bowl is sufficient, people!


WOULD NOT USE



Ice Cream Scoop
Same idea as the gravy boat- a unitasker that does not apply to me. Ice cream should not be such a regular occasion that you need a giant clunky spoon just for getting at it.


YOU REALLY EAT THAT MUCH ICE CREAM?


I do have some things that other people might put in this list.
I finally broke down and got a pizza cutter when I realized that a lot of the places that deliver don't cut, and that I was making pizza from store-bought dough relatively often.

In general though, there are so many things people have and buy for each other that are really just not worth the space they take up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest