OH CRAP! It's valentine's day.
Did you prepare?
The best thing to do at this point is give up on reservations and fancy gifts and get a plan in place.
On your way home tonight, you will make one or two stops at the grocery store and at the drug store.
A special dinner doesn't have to be out. Make a picnic on your floor with a fancy cheese plate.
Here is what you need:
3 cheeses (one soft like goat or brie, one medium like cheddar or gouda, and one hard like gruyere or parmesan or asiago)
2 kinds of crackers (a table water cracker like Carrs and a more substantial one with seeds or nuts in it)
Dried fruit like apricots, dates, cranberries
Nuts like almonds or walnuts or pistachios
Arrange these all on the biggest plate you have, or a wooden cutting board and you will be good to go.
Now on to the Gifts:
Go to the drug store.
1. DO NOT BUY the heart shaped box of chocolates. They are cheap and gross.
2. DO NOT BUY the stupid teddy bear. It is tacky and thoughtless.
DON'T DO IT !
3. DO BUY a card and make sure it isn't for a grandparent or a christening.
4. DO BUY your date's favorite candy bar. Actually, buy 5. This is way more thoughtful than a red box of shitty chocolates they won't like.
If you don't know their favorite, buy a sampler of your favorites. Worst case scenario, they won't like one and you get to eat it. Score!
5. DO BUY a spool of red ribbon and wrap those candy bars up together.
6. DO BUY a pretty lotion or lipstick or nail polish if she likes makeup. Or shaving cream in a nice bottle if he shaves. Make sure you DO NOT BUY anything like acne lotion. Even if he or she is a total pizza-face. It's not the time to suggest self-improvements.
7. That's it!
Now you have a cute picnic and a nice little gift and card.
see you next year.